Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Inspiration

507228_LR-6142
More than anything, I loved the candid style of this whole photo. The whole thing seems like one of those beautiful accidents - there are hardly any special tricks employed photographically (or so it seems), but this reminds me of one of those random Saturdays when I'm wandering around the city and see a sign on a side street for an impromptu flea market and curiously approach...

4418758289_e5b650ce9d_o
Loved the dynamic of the tights/shoes/shorts colors and proportions. Hell, I love this whole outfit. Another one of those effortless low-maint looks that look so put together. 

510132_march9_1_merged
High-waisted long skirts and/or unexpected skirt layers are on my must-make list for this spring. This outfit is so perfectly funky.

3410MJ_0981Web
Layers and layers of jewelry. You're set when your hands look like you just robbed the local Tiffany's. Also, I've always been very partial to statement earrings. They frame the face and they exhibit your inner edge. They're like little sculptural works of art hanging from your head. Almost as if your brain were leaking prettiness...

I don't usually like to appropriate for my blog - many subsist on appropriation but I would rather mine exist as a healthy mix of created and borrowed. However, part of being an artist as a member of a community is reaping inspiration from others' work. Whether we like it or not, we are always infiltrated by our surroundings, our muses, others' art. We borrow this concept, that concept and are guided by our experiences and genetics to create something that may stylistically recall another's, but is nonetheless completely original because of the uniqueness of our experiences, influences and predispositions. I spent much of today inspiration hunting - did some work at Think Coffee on 4th ave,  read some creative exercise books at Barnes & Noble, drew random folks near Madison Square Park (hey, you gotta practice somewhere), and did the style blog rotations before Flash class. These were a few of the photos I came across and liked for one reason or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Me