Tuesday, April 13, 2010

fauve = wild beast

















Le bonheur de vivre by Matisse

In my survey of graphic design class, I always endure some sort of epiphany. The other day, I realized that my natural painting style (maybe subconsciously) mimics artists of a period I hadn't really studied too much somehow - Fauvism. I actually have always gravitated towards Fauvist paintings while at museum bookstores picking up postcards, just didn't realize that all were from the same movement.

The following statement sums up my favorite painting technique since high school. According to Wikipedia,

In 1888 Gauguin had said to Paul Sérusier:
"How do you see these trees? They are yellow. So, put in yellow; this shadow, rather blue, paint it with pure ultramarine; these red leaves? Put in vermilion."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Me